Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Play

Seeing as so many people requested the details on how my play went I figure I can share with ya!

So, we did The Good Person of Szechwan by Bertold Brecht. Overall it was a great success, the director was happy, the cast was happy. That is not to say it was without it's speedbumps. I was so happy with my role since it was the one I wanted and very far outside of my normal casting parameters. My whole goal for this year was to do some really non-typecast roles and see if I could pull it off. So far, I think I've acheived that, which is good. Now, I have always had a mortal fear that I will not make it onstage during a scene ontime. Always, I mean to the point that when I was little I peed my pants waiting for my turn to come at a piano recital cuz I didn't wanna miss it. That bad. Well, the worst has happened (yes, somehow worse than peeing my pants in front of everyone). During the second last show I completely forgot that I was in a scene. I was sitting in the green room, picking my nose or something (lord knows what I was doing, really), even paying attention to the CC TV that was showing the play and still didn't clue in that I should be onstage. The assistant stage managers came running in saying, "You're missing your cue, you're missing your cue!" It was like a bad dream and sure didn't feel like it was really happening. In the end, the audience didn't notice a thing, thanks to the two very wonderful actors who were onstage, but the director sure noticed and I got a lashing. The worst part was that I disappointed myself, though. It was a complete fluke, but it was my worst fear coming true. At the time I was sure it would be career suicide, but, thankfully, I think I half redeemed myself in the closing performance. It was definitely the best I did in the entire run, so I'm proud of myself. I did my share of bawling over the subject so I think I can move on from here. Overall, it was a fabulous experience and I'm better for being in such a wonderful production.

In knitting news, nothing major to report. I've got a new dishcloth FO, picture to be posted at some time in the future. Oh, also I taught my lil' sis how to knit over the last week. She's already not satisfied with one project at a time, but they're both stockinette scarves. I told her she should make herself a blog, cuz she'd learn so much faster that way. Good ol' learning by osmosis. Alrighty, buds, I'm outta here for today. I hope all your days are going simply fabulously!

5 Comments:

At 3/01/2006 3:08 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Do not worry yourself over the one missed cue. It was your worst fear - it came true - and you survived!!! It's all downhill from here, baby! I'm so proud of you, especially taking on a role that would challenge you so much. Good for you!

 
At 3/01/2006 5:25 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Congratulations on you stage success! And also for stretching yourself. I feel so bad about the missed cue! My first day of college I was so terrified that I would be late to my first class that I got to campus 1 hour before. I sat down in the class room 15 min early. Home free, right? Nope. It was the wrong class.

 
At 3/02/2006 4:08 AM, Blogger candsmom said...

So glad to hear that the play was a rousing success! And I totally agree with Karen... it was your worst nightmare, but you survived and with all the ad lib, I bet the audience never missed a beat. I'm happy that you got the role you wanted... looking forward to seeing your knits! Take care, Talitha! :-)

 
At 3/02/2006 7:49 AM, Blogger K. said...

Thats a really good play! Don't worry about the cue, I once had someone get the stomach flu during a play and had to cut her role in all the scenes while the play was going on...hehe! It's really cool that you're going beyond your casting, it's always nice to find versatile actors.

Take care!

 
At 3/04/2006 7:49 PM, Anonymous Wendie said...

Ditto Karen - now that you've realized your fear and survived, it's like a great big sigh of relief. Now you know it's something you don't have to worry about so much. Sounds like it was a wonderful production. And now back to the knitting :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home