Thursday, January 19, 2006

My first scarf for ME!!!!

Those wouldn't be gauge swatches, would they??? Heeeeeeck no! Do I look like the swatching type? Huh, do I??? That's what I've got done so far for my Noddy doll. The red bits are his body and the tan one is half of his head. We'll see how these dolls turn out since I'm not exactly using the right yarns. They are quite rolled up in the pic, so don't get too worried.

And, here is the finished My So Called Scarf in Manos del Uruguay colourway 113! Yipee! I haven't taken the thing off since I finished it. I'm so proud of it, I brag to everyone. I've said it before and I'll say it again, wow do I love working with this stuff. It itches me just a little tiny bit, but that's on my sensitive neck, and pretty much everything itches my neck, so I'm not concerned about it.
These lovelies are a selection from the dolls that my gramma "knit" for me. They're crocheted! Every last one of them! These have got to be at least 20 years old, because I can't actually remember if they were made specifically for me or if I stole them from her house. Aren't they great, though? A little bit creepy, but look at the detail! There are even darker pinks embroidered onto their tongues for definition. Oh, gramma... I can't wait until I'm finished your dolls to send to you.
And this wonderful stuff came to me in the mail this week. It's 100% alpaca yarn from Russia. Well, from Russia via Texas anyway. I must've been crazy when I ordered it, seeing as I thought I was getting worsted weight yarn. 10 balls for under $30? Of worsted weight 100% alpaca. Definitely not. The listing said sport weight, but it seems even lighter than that to me. It was originally to be a sweater for Davin, when I thought it would be a heavier yarn, but now it someday will be a garment for me. To the stash it goes.

I'm still really, really busy and it's not gonna let up for awhile, so here's my official on-the-record apology if I'm not as regular as usual. I'm gonna try really hard, but even work has been busy the last little while and I have a lot to do. Anyway, I *heart* you all and hope not to be too much of a stranger ;).

9 Comments:

At 1/19/2006 3:01 PM, Blogger Lynda said...

Your scarf is so pretty. Isn't Manos the BEST STUFF EVER!?? I just love it - so beautiful. mmmmmmmManos...

Those Sesame Street dolls your grandma made are the cutest!! How great that you still have them - that is so great! Priceless.

 
At 1/19/2006 3:09 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I so can't wait to see your little Noddy doll - even the body parts are exciting me. (That doesn't sound right - does it.) Those dolls your Grandma crocheted are wonderful! I had a Gumby doll that was knit or chrocheted once - it may still be floating around here somewhere. I think it came from a craft fair. I still think you got a huge bargain on your yarn and, oh shoot, you'll just have to use it for something for yourself!!! Great job on the scarf - it's so pretty. Don't stay away too long, we'll miss you!!!

 
At 1/19/2006 3:57 PM, Anonymous Nancy said...

The scarf is very pretty - I love the color! And, I agree, the Sesame Street dolls are a bit creepy - especially Big Bird. But, creepy with love from Grandma!

 
At 1/19/2006 6:40 PM, Blogger candsmom said...

Your Manos scarf is gorgeous, gorgeous!! Then again, you already knew that, didn't you? ;-) That colorway is so pretty and the whole effect is just beautiful. And I LOVE those Sesame street characters that your grandma crocheted! How cute are Bert and Ernie?? Did she just free-form them or is there a pattern floating around out there somewhere? I'd love to make one of those for Bossy and Stinky. That black alpaca looks really pretty...it'll definitely become something gorgeous someday, even if it's not worsted. We'll miss you while you're gone... I hope things ease up soon so you get a chance to relax a bit. Take care, sweetie! :-)

 
At 1/19/2006 6:49 PM, Blogger Olga said...

that manos scarf is stunning! hurray! i love those colors. i made myself an entire sweater out of red manos last year, and it's my prized possession...pure indulgence.

and those sesame street dolls are too much! they're in such good condition, too...i can't believe they're 20 years old! obviously, they're well-loved.

you can use that alpaca for a shawl! (you probably have enough for two.) or you can always double it. it looks so soft...i love alpaca.

 
At 1/19/2006 10:15 PM, Blogger Cerella said...

I'm LOVING that black alpaca yarn! I'm sure that whatever you make with it will be beautiful!

 
At 1/19/2006 10:50 PM, Blogger Mandy said...

Love the scarf!! What a pretty colorway!

 
At 1/20/2006 12:26 AM, Blogger Olga said...

Ok, Talitha, I'm tagging you with a meme! (Which I'm sure you're thrilled with, just about now.:-)

 
At 1/24/2006 5:10 PM, Blogger Lolly said...

That scarf is so amazingly beautiful - you should wear it all of the time! I would if I had that colorway!

Cute crochet dolls too - that is so neat that your grandmother made them ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home