Monday, January 02, 2006

First Post of 2006

Merry '06, everyone! Here's to a year that will eclipse every other yet in greatness... hopefully ;P.

I wanted to put down my New Year's Resolution where I can't back out of it (not that I would). I am normally not a resolution type person, more of a "hey, let's try and live the good life every year" kind of gal. But...

I will learn and become successful at knitting socks on various sized needles and various gauged yarns.

It's really got nothing to do with making me try socks, really just so I can justify the stash expansion ;).

I have some new pattern books, well not new at all, but new to me. Davin's aunt had bought them all for his gramma this summer for 50 cents. There are many different ones, as you can see, ranging from the 1940s to the 1990s. Most of them are baby patterns, which will come in very handy for me, as my regular readers will note. The coolest book is without a cover, but provided complete with this message (excuse the glare):




These here booties were made by a modification of one of the patterns in a Patons Woolcraft book. If you'll notice, they match Logan's hat in stitch pattern.


They're really, really huge. I made them to replace the SnB Nation ones that were way too small. These ones took forever, since I had to knit them on such small needles and, again, with that ball of really cheap acrylic.

Speaking of knits from hell... luckily you can't see what a gimp this blankey is, but here it is FINISHED and sent away to Nova Scotia never to be seen again by my eyes. The whole thing is simply knit in the Trinity stitch, which has many other names. It's not square, or even straight. But, it's so strategically draped that you'll never have proof! Sucka!!!

Now, rather than a progress shot, here is a detail of the wonderful stitch pattern of my "My So Called Scarf" in Manos del Uruguay. It's a little over half done now, I think.



And, finally, some cuteness. Drake had pulled the tin pie plate out of the garbage bag after I'd finished it off. I imagine he was saying, in a very nice Brit accent (as his mother is from across the pond), "Please, sir, I'd like some more."


7 Comments:

At 1/02/2006 8:31 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Hey there, I've been meaning to e-mail you back but have been horrible about e-mails. Tomorrow, promise. I'm resoluting to master socks this year too!! Love those pattern books, that war-time was is cool. And look at you go with all the FO's and fancy stitch patterns. The booties are so cute and the blanket looks great from here. The scarf is so COOL!!! And look at little Drake - he's so hungry. HA!!

 
At 1/03/2006 1:05 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

I can't wait to see more of that Manos scarf, those colors are soooo pretty.

 
At 1/03/2006 9:03 AM, Anonymous nancy said...

I like your Resolution for 2006 - simple, realistic, doable. And I think Drake is actually saying "Hey! Who ate all the freakin' pie!!"

 
At 1/03/2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Cerella said...

I LOVE those booties! They match the sweater that I made for Emilia! That yarn for "My So Called Scarf" is beautiful.
Thanks for offering to send me a Tim Horton's fix if I ever need it. My husband and I just went to a Krispy Kreme the other night to compare.....YUCK! No comparison at all!!! I couldn't even finish my coffee. On our trip to and fro' "Oh Canada" (you like that?!) we did find a couple of Tim Horton's in Michigan. That is as far south as I think that they will go, at least for now. :(

 
At 1/03/2006 3:13 PM, Blogger ms. pea said...

Sock knitting is the bizomb! You will love it! Knitting a pair of socks is an inexpensive, fun and sometimes even challenging project (if you want it to be), plus non-sock-knitters are always so impressed with your moxie. I learned how to knit socks from that wonderful book by Ann Budd, The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. Good resolving, Talitha!

 
At 1/07/2006 12:28 PM, Blogger knittinmom said...

Just be warned - once you start knitting socks, you won't be able to stop. I learned from the Knitty Gritty "Sock It To Me" episode and haven't looked back since. I recommend any and all Nancy Bush books - they rock! Those old pattern books are great, too. I got some at a library book sale not too long ago, and the kids' stuff especially is awesome. Funny how everything old is new again at some point!

Happy New Year!!!

 
At 1/07/2006 4:15 PM, Anonymous Latoya said...

I have to knit some booties myself for a friend. I really like the ones you did. Nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home