Hi, Secret Pal! This one's for you:
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural
fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same
- I am a ghetto knitter so I will knit with Wal-Mart and craft store yarns, but I definitely appreciate good fibers. My favorite fiber to knit with is Alpaca.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
- I don't spin, but am hoping to re-teach myself how to crochet sometime in the next year or so.
3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
- I have a cute little fabric needle case that looks vintage with doggies on it for my needles. It still has some room, but I do like those felted needle vases. I think they're cute!
4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
- I would be an adventurous beginner to intermediate. All of my projects are pretty much on the blog here so that should tell ya ;).
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
- I have a wishlist on Knit Picks. I can e-mail it to you if you'd like. I can also make an Amazon one sometime, but as yet, I don't have one up and running.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
- I have so many favorite scents, but to name a few: orchid, raspberry, some vanilla, ocean scented, light musk, ummm there are so many. Basically I don't like anything spicy scented, like cinnamon or sandalwood, or really strong florals. I have like 15 different kinds of perfume that I wear day-to-day.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
- Do I ever! But, like I said, I have to be careful what I buy and make sure there's no flour or oats or anything in it. My favorite candy is anything sour. Sour soothers are the best and you used to be able to buy these candies called Super Sour Dweebs (like Nerds), but not any more :(.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
- I like to make decorations and prefer to handmake things that can be handmade.
9.What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if
your buddy wants to make you a CD)
- I like every kind of music. Any given day I will listen to classical, jazz, rap, rock, country, world and pop, all of them.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a
color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't
- I definitely favour cool colours. I can't really pull off browns or reds. I really like purple, blue, and pink. I'm starting to be more of a fan of lighter greens too like sage.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
- My family's situation is that they're all stark raving mad!!! Ha ha. Well, I live with my fiance, our dog, Drake, who is an English Springer Spaniel and loves treats, and 3 hermit crabs.
12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
- It gets darn cold here so yes, I wear scarves, hats and mittens. I don't own any ponchos because I'd rather wear a scarf or a stole. It's more dramatic ;).
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
- My favorite that I have ever knitted with is Luxury Silk Alpaca (30% silk, 70% alpaca) because it feels like it's actually softening my hands as I'm knitting. I'm also really enjoying Manos del Uruguay because of the colour and thickness variations.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
- I don't like really scratchy wool or really stiff acrylic. I have never really used Fun Fur yet, but I'm sure I will someday for a specific project.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
- Well, it's an obsession forced upon me, but knitting for babies, because I have one nephew who was just born and my best friend is also pregnant. Other than that, I have a goal in the New Year to learn how to knit socks. I also have been knitting a lot of dishcloths, but just because I'm in the dishcloth KAL.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
- I'm not sure about this, how about everything?
17. What are you knitting right now?
- Ha ha, are you ready for this, I mean really truly ready? Ok, a Gryffindor scarf, an airy cross-crossy scarf out of mohair, a yoga mat bag, a baby blanket, a Patons Pooch scarf, My So Called Scarf, a bunch of dishcloths, two stuffed toys (Noddy and Bigears), and I think that's it for now that's on my needles.
18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
- Sure I do, but I also like to get the stuff to make them myself.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
- Well, hmmm... probably straight because I knit English style so it's a bit awkward to not be able to rest the end of the circ against something every now and again when I'm wrapping the stitch. And if it's a case of whether I prefer DPNs or circs for projects in the round, it depends on the project.
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
- I don't think I own any plastic. It depends on the type of yarn I'm using. I use both bamboo and aluminum.
21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
- Here is my method for winding balls: I stretch the skein in between my feet and then wind it on a paper towel roll. So, that would be a no (and an emphatic wish for them).
22. How did you learn to knit?
- I looked and searched for good instructions on the internet and couldn't find many, since I didn't know where to look and then bought a tiny little pamphlet of a book from WalMart and taught myself.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
- About 4 months old I think. It's my yoga mat bag, which got put on stitch holders when I started up on my Christmas knitting in September.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
- I love Nemo and the Disney princesses, such as Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc. I love most animals, but really love dogs, cats and horses.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
- Christmas, hands down.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
- The closest thing to a collection that I have is lipglosses and shiny lipsticks. I have so many different kinds of the shade of like goldey rose and also lots of clear ones. I even have lipglosses with the Disney princesses on the label!
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
- Creative Knitting.
28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?
- For books: Stitch n' Bitch (I have the second one) and a really good sock knitting book. For yarns: anything pretty much from those online stores, it's all so gorgeous! For needles: I'd like to try the Lantern Moon kind, they look so pretty, and also Addi Turbos (to try Magic Loop). As far as patterns go, I'd like to find a really nice stole/shawl pattern for myself. You know, not too old ladyish.
29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
- Yes! I'd like to learn Magic Loop for socks, as well as Fair Isle knitting.
30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
- I am soon to be a sock knitter. I've bought my first sock yarn and DPNs to make a pair for Davin. My feel are just a smidge over 8 inches long and I usually wear a size 5-6 shoe.
31. When is your birthday?
- June 18 (same as Sir Paul).
Add on Question from the old Questionnaire: Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
- Well, neither of these are allergies, but I can't have any gluten, which is in wheat, oats, and barley and scratchy wool bothers me. I can seem to wear soft wool and wool blends alright though. With the gluten thing, I have to read labels to make sure there isn't any flour in anything, because it's in just about everything.
I'm very excited to try this out!