Saturday, December 17, 2005

Neckwarmer Pattern


Hi, all! I hope Christmas preparations are going well.

I've had a request for the pattern for my neckwarmer so here's some info on how to make one yourself:

Materials:

- Size US 9 needles
- About 150 yards of DK or worsted weight yarn (make sure you pick something soft!).
- One button

Directions:

- Knitting with two strands of yarn at the same time, CO 27 stitches.

- Odd rows work K3, P3 times 4, then K3.
- Even rows works P3, K3 times 4, then P3.

- Once the piece measures anywhere between 17 and 18 inches (43-46 cms), ending with an even row (with purl stitches at the beginning and end), on the next row (which will be an odd row), K2, YO, K1 for the first rib and then continue as normal on an odd row.
- When you get back to the section where you have the extra stitch from the yarn over, P1, P2 tog, P1.

- Bind off and weave in ends. Attach a button on the opposite end of the neckwarmer on the wrong side of the piece (whichever side you want that to be).

My finished neckwarmer is just under 19 inches or 48 cms, which ends up a bit long for me so if I were to make another I would do the YO at 17 inches instead of 18, but I have a skinny lizard neck, hence the lee-way I've accounted for in the pattern. When all else fails, wrap your work around your own neck to see how long you want it. If anyone has any questions please let me know. It is very easy and I tend to write over-complicated instructions. Feel free to use a bulkier yarn instead of running two strands together, but the two strands allows the flexibility to knit with two colours if desired. Merry knitting!


And now I leave you with a picture I took looking outside my front window (snow, snow, snow):


2 Comments:

At 12/18/2005 1:56 AM, Blogger Lynda said...

Thanks for the pattern! - and by the looks of all that pretty snow, you'll get a lot of good use out of it!

 
At 12/18/2005 10:11 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Look at you, publishing pattern after pattern. I'm so impressed. I think I'll have to make one of those neck warmers (maybe with some SP yarn) . . . . after the holiday knitting is done, or course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home