Monday, November 28, 2005

A little help from my friends.

I uh... have a little question. Has anyone ever managed to ummm knit whilst you know like ummmm stationary biking or on a recumbant? I just thought it might be fun, but am rather frightened to walk into the university gym and whip out my knitting. Really, projects get washed before being worn or gifted in the first place, so what's a little sweat, right? I'm just thinking about how much knitting I could get done and how much distance I could burn on the bike without even noticing! It was just a little brain wave I had just now. I think it would be funny if I could teach my friends to knit along with me and then we could go to the gym together and knit. We'd be quite the posse, time might even slow and theme music play as we walk -- rather-- blow through the doors of that place. The funny part is that it's not the knitting in the gym that will prevent me from making this happen... it's the actually going to the gym part that I have issues with. It's a side-effect of being a lazy lump. I do believe we've been over this before.

I need help/suggestions with convincing Davin to buy me yarn off of my wishlist for Christmas. He says he doesn't want to buy me a Christmas present that I may use to give to someone else. I say just knitting with some nice yarn is enough of a gift. He disagrees. Really, I wonder if he would remember which yarn was which even if I did use it for a project for someone else. Hmmm....

6 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 5:01 PM, Blogger keohinani said...

knitting while biking, huh? not bad...imagine if you could modify the stationary bike to be a spinning wheel at the same time! THAT would be cool. the only stipulation i'd probably have about the knitting while biking idea is that some gyms i know of impose a time limit on the machines...and some gym members might not appreciate it. i know some people who get annoyed with people who read magazines on the cardio machines; they complain the user isn't working that hard anyways, so they should just get off and take the reading somewhere else.
i'm not saying that to discourage you. just sayin'.
there's also the possibility that the yarn will get caught in the machine. wouldn't want that...
yarn is a gift that keeps on giving, whether you keep it or not! you could always teach your fiance to knit and then it'll be guaranteed that you keep the yarn he gives you...? ;)
btw, thanks for the suggestion. i'll have to make the preposition to upper management (i.e. parents) and maybe it'll happen...

 
At 11/28/2005 7:35 PM, Blogger Wendie said...

If I thought I could knit while on my eliptical, I so would, but with my luck I would fall off AND drop stitches in the process. So knitting wins, eliptical collects dust.

 
At 11/28/2005 8:40 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I love Keohinani's idea of the bike / spinning wheel. You gals have quite a great partnership building by bouncing ideas off one another!! I can't wait to see what you cook up next. As for me, I'm lucky I can knit and breath at the same time - so no Knitting Workouts for me. LOL And by the way, I think your scarf price sounds about right. :) Have you seen how much scarves are going for in the stores???

 
At 11/28/2005 9:13 PM, Blogger candsmom said...

Knitting while biking? I would be very impressed, indeed. Like Karen, I can barely chew gum and walk at the same time. :-) Coordinating my hands and feet to move at the same time may be a little much for me, but I say go for it if it works for you!! Way to multitask! I will admit to having knit in the bathroom, but that requires considerably less attention. Sorry, too much information, huh?! ;-)

 
At 12/04/2005 7:42 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

there's a button/award I've seen floating around blogs. The extreme knitting button. I bet you'd be eligible if you got a picture of it. Google it and see what you can come up with!

 
At 12/16/2005 1:58 AM, Blogger Deborah said...

Considering the fatigue to your hands, you might consider knitting gloves. They are actually edema compression gloves but are great for knitting. www.wisdomking.com They are 6.10 a glove and I like the 3/4 length, although you can get them in all lengths. Your baby is a real cutie. I will digress about your guy because he denies you yarn. I bought 300 dollars worth of yarn in two weeks and might spend the rest of my life using it. Well spent I say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home